Wednesday, March 19, 2008

The Us We Used To Know


I used to draw a lot. Pencil, pen, ink, that sort of thing. Of course, I was in school then and they made me draw. But I wanted to do it and I was good at it. These days I feel as though there's no time for drawing. But I know that's not true; it's more the case that I should start drawing again and, this time, not stop.

When I was younger I took my 'artistic' abilities for granted. I used to think that drawing was something I could do later in life when other options were no longer available to me. Well, that time has more than arrived. Life seems to speed-up when you're at the late end of it looking back. Most of those tomorrows are yesterdays now, and I have to remind myself that if I'm ever going to get around to painting and drawing anything, the time is now.

When we're young, life is about all the things we're going to do. When we're older, it tends to be about all the things we never got around to doing. And that's most of the things on the list, since life demands that we carve that list down to a managable few. And that's if we're lucky. If we're not lucky, life just pretty much cancels out anything we originally had in mind and replaces it with a bunch of things we never counted on in the first place.

No comments: