Thursday, March 27, 2008

Acting Can Be A Lonely Job


Especially when you're not being paid for it. And, it's true, money can't buy friendship, or love, but at least when you're paid for it you can walk away and know you're taking something tangible home with you.

Wait...what?...that's true of every human endeavor? Oh, pishsaw!

I suppose most of my fellow thespians have 'a life' to go home to, (well, yippee) and I suppose I'm pretty damned sure I don't, judging from the loneliness I feel after the rehearsal is over.

It's a loneliness born from not being able to discuss the deeper details and ramifications of what the play is about and why we're breaking our asses to bother with it in the first place.

A good while ago I began to notice how strange it is that the characters in whatever show we're doing know each other infinitely better than the actors in the production ever will.

Acting does seem to be a quite unnatural art form; pretending you're someone else for and hour and a damn half. God, what was I thinking?

I'm rather convinced it's a personal problem of my own. If or when I actually have a significant other to come home to to bitch about rehearsal, I'm sure everything will be fine. Or not.

In the final analysis it's me I come home to, I mean in'nit? And that's mostly just fine, since that's the human condition. Actually, the whole animal kingdom condition, if I'm not mistaken.

Yes...even as I write, animals of every stripe are steadfastly or otherwise coping and dealing with timeless hierarchical red tape...and loneliness...and much worse.

Gosh...suddenly what's happening in my own tiny world is rendered ridiculously insignificant, faced with the larger universe unfolding all around me.


Never mind.

.

1 comment:

Kathy Lea said...

thanks for comment. I am still uncertain if a blog is for me. good luck with yours. cheers